By Georgia Cross, Guest Blogger | 1.17.18
What do you get when you put an entrepreneur doctor and a curious marketer together? Digital marketing magic with a lot of content.
Nashville AMA’s January 2018 program featured Evan Tardy, President of DrAxe.com, a Nashville-based brand that touts growth of 5,000% in just 4 short years. Evan started working with Dr. Josh Axe when the brand was in its infancy, seizing the opportunity for online growth.
The method behind the madness? A well thought out Content Marketing Strategy, based on the teachings of Gary Vaynerchuck’s books on giving value in the form of content.
The prescription is simple: Content = Value, and Value = Trust.
People buy from brands they trust. Give them content they are looking for. Most marketers know this part. Here’s the vitamin-induced part of Dr.Axe.com’s digital marketing strategy that helped amplify its growth:
SEO/ SEM- Skyscraper Method: Tells Google you are a subject-matter expert.
- Do keyword research to find broad search terms (keywords), such as “coconut oil.”
- Write an “epic keyword-rich” article (2,000 words) around “coconut oil.”
- Write 4 additional articles on that topic, but these are “long-tail-keyword-rich articles” (400-500 words) linking back to the skyscraper article, such as “how to make a coconut oil face mask.”
Social Amplification: Sends a message to Facebook to boost the algorithms.
- Share the articles (as mentioned above) to your brand’s Facebook page to get organic reach.
- Pay to boost the post on Facebook (budget around $100/article) and promote on sister Facebook pages (DrAxe.com has a community recipe page).
- Partner with other blogger/brand/business Facebook pages to cross promote.
Maybe not every brand is as well-positioned to provide educational content such as DrAxe.com; however, you must have pain points your customers want to be addressed or points of differentiation from your competitors that you can talk about.
Give value in the form of education to cut through the clutter. Create various levels of content- long articles, short articles, webinars, quick lists, etc. Sometimes the quick and easy content is the most valuable.
Keep a healthy digital strategy in place by taking the time to figure out what value your brand or products can bring, and then play with your SEO, Social Media, and blogging strategy. Cheers to your brand in 2018!